Monday 2 November 2015

Music Monday: my favourites from October

It's been just over a month since I started using Spotify to stream music rather than trying to download everything that I wanted to listen to for as little as possible, and as a result I've had to change the way that I put together my end of the month playlists. For the last three years I've been compiling a playlist made of new songs that I've downloaded each month, uploading them to 8tracks and committing them to disc, but now I don't have enough new music in my iTunes each month to fill a CD. Luckily, Spotify offers an easy-to-use playlist feature where I've been adding all the new songs I've come across there alongside other favourites that I've been playing a lot. 


1. Mene - Brand New
I went to see Brand New live in September and I wrote a review of the show for music site Gigsoup, which you can find here. While I was writing I listened to the band for some inspiration and particularly enjoyed hearing this, the only new song the band have released in the last five years. 

2. Sink Into Me - Taking Back Sunday
I foolishly thought that I'd be able to listen to Taking Back Sunday while writing about Brand New but it confused me thoroughly. If I had to choose between the two bands I'd pick TBS, who I got to see a couple of times last year. This song is particularly fun and I've played it a few times this month.

3. Sippy Cup - Melanie Martinez
4. Soap - Melanie Martinez

I heard a remix of her cover of Toxic last year and absolutely adored it, so when I found Melanie Martinez's debut album 'Cry Baby' on Spotify I set aside some time to listen to it and I thought it was amazing. These two songs were my favourites but really I liked the whole album.



5. The Fire - Tonight Alive
6. Lonely Girl - Tonight Alive
I spent an afternoon listening to Tonight Alive, who I got really into in 2013 after seeing them on the Kerrang! Tour. Both of these songs are from their 2nd album, 'The Other Side', which came out that year and which I bought but haven't listened to as much as I should have. They put out a new song the other day which I'm not as keen on but I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the new album.

7. Castle - Halsey
There's been a lot of hype around Halsey and a lot of my friends are obsessed with her, but I wasn't particularly impressed when I first heard her - her voice has a bit of an Ellie Goulding quality at times which really irritates me. This song appeared in my Spotify Discover playlist one week and while I was excited to give it a chance, I didn't think I would enjoy it; it was a nice surprise to find that I actually really liked the song!

8. What Do You Mean? - Justin Bieber
This is probably my favourite song of the month, I've listened to it way more times than I can count and it's actually the reason why I dusted the cobwebs off my Spotify application last month. I watch the video every time it's on TV and I made a rare visit to the iTunes store to purchase the song. I'm getting a little bored with it now but luckily there's a new Bieber song to replace it with.



9. Can't Feel My Face - The Weeknd
This is another of the big chart hits that I've been listening to a lot, it's been stuck in my head more or less all month. I saw The Weeknd perform this on Saturday Night Live the other week and it was amazing, I've really grown to like him lately.

10. Stay High (Habits Remix) - Tove Lo, Hippie Sabotage
This song was dropped into one of my Discover playlists this month and it was definitely the highlight of the collection, I listened to it a couple of times on repeat just to relive how great it was the first time. I don't know much about Tove Lo but this song is magical.

11. Hotline Bling - Drake
Obviously this song is huge right now so it's not a big surprise that it's on my playlist. It's the other song that's stuck in my head constantly and I'm totally okay with it because it's amazing. The video is a bit dodgy though, Drake's dancing is definitely not sexy.



12. Gold Teeth - Redlight
I heard this song on my Discover playlist and thought it was pretty cool. Then my brother came home having been to see Radio 1 DJ B.Traits on tour and when I asked him what songs she played he said "nothing you'll have heard of" but when I pressed him this was the first song he mentioned, so listening to it makes me feel kind of hip.

13. How Deep Is Your Love - Calvin Harris ft Disciples
Another big chart song, which is on TV pretty much every time I flick to the music channel. I didn't think it was that great at first but it's grown on me and now I listen to it regularly, which is nice because I've not liked a Calvin Harris song in ages!

14. Love Me - The 1975
When I first heard this I thought it had a real 80s INXS/Depeche Mode vibe which I'm definitely into. It's a really catchy, happy song, a total contrast to 'Sex' which is the other song of theirs that I really like. 'Love Me' sounds totally unlike anything else and I'm glad it's doing well.



15. Be Right There - Diplo, Sleepy Tom
I can't remember where I first heard this song but I ended up with the chorus stuck in my head and luckily I was glad to have it there, so I've listened to it quite a lot. I didn't realise quite how many great summer songs Diplo was behind so it's nice to have this one with his name actually attached.

16. Anyone/Anything - Touché Amoré
I started listening to this band when they toured with AFI a couple of years ago, around the time that their last album came out, and I was listening to them one day this month. My favourite of their songs is 'Is Survived By' but I also really like this one. 

17. Grand Piano - Nicki Minaj
I listened to Nicki for a while one evening and when this came on I was floored. She's best known for her tongue-in-cheek party songs so to hear her singing a ballad really surprised me. At first I expected the song to be someone else's and for her to drop a rap verse somewhere but I'm glad to discover a different side of Nicki.



18. The Hills - The Weeknd
I already included The Weeknd's other hit earlier but as October went on I also fell in love with this song. I really need to sit and listen to his whole album I think because every song I've heard so far has been incredible.

19. Girls Fall Like Dominoes - Nicki Minaj
This is another Nicki Minaj song that came completely out of the blue for me. In this case the surprise was that she'd sampled 'Dominos' by The Big Pink, another song that I really like and hadn't expected to hear in this sort of setting.

20. Mean - Nicole Dollanganger
I've been a fan of Nicole's for a while since a few of her songs crop up all the time on the 8tracks playlists I listen to, so I was really excited about her album 'Natural Born Losers' coming out. It's all good and I struggled to pick just one song for my playlist. 



21. Over And Out - 5 Seconds Of Summer
I definitely didn't expect to like this song when it appeared on my Discover playlist since 5SOS have such a bad reputation - I heard some of their last album when they first came on the scene and found it to be a lot like my old favourites Busted. This song sounds like it could be by All Time Low though, and I think it's a step in the right direction.

22. Leave A Trace - CHVRCHES
I've been keeping an eye on this band since their first single 'The Mother We Share' came out and when they've appeared on chat shows to promote this new song I've tuned in to see their performance. 'Leave A Trace' is just as good as anything that they've done before and I think their singer Lauren is magical.

23. Sorry - Justin Bieber
Basically at this point I'm not sure Justin Bieber can put out a song that isn't amazing. When I first heard this I was glad that it was just as catchy and fun as 'What Do You Mean?' is and I have no doubt that I'll be listening to it a lot over the next month.



24. Laughing At You - Head Automatica
I've been a bit obsessed with this song for the last few months and sadly Spotify only has a live version of it, but that hasn't stopped me from playing it on repeat and singing loudly along. Daryl Palumbo's tone is so cutting and sarcastic in this and I just love everything about it.

25. Can't Be Sure - The Sundays
26. Here's Where The Story Ends - The Sundays
'Can't Be Sure' started playing when I was listening to music from my last.fm library, yet I don't remember ever hearing it before. After I'd listened to it there was a bug that made it play again and the second time around I was even more mesmerised and had to find out more about them. When I looked at their page I recognised the title 'Here's Where The Story Ends' and found out that it was the original version of a song I remember being in the charts when I was little. I've played the two quite a lot this past week.

27. Focus - Ariana Grande 
This song came out just in time to be included in my October playlist, although I'm sure it'll also make it in next month. I think Ariana is wonderful and I'm pleased to see her stick to the fun 60s inspired aesthetic that made me fall in love with her to start with. 




No comments:

Post a Comment