Wednesday 22 July 2015

Review: Lush Silky Underwear dusting powder

Up until a couple of months ago, I'd never been into a Lush store or bought any of their products. I was familiar with them as a place that sold weird soaps and beauty products, after all the smell that hits your nostrils when you're close to one of their shops is impossible to miss, but I've always been wary of going in. I'm not really the kind of girl who spends a lot of money on beauty, so I didn't want to go in and be disappointed by the prices or be bothered by a shop assistant when I wasn't definitely going to buy something. However, after hearing friends make recommendations and seeing the Lush bath bomb trend take over Tumblr I decided that it was time for me to pay the shop a visit.

I've seen praise for a lot of Lush products, but the one that caught my eye the most was a Tumblr post recommending the Silky Underwear dusting powder. I'm not blessed with the coveted thigh gap so when it gets hot in the summer my thighs get sticky which is really unpleasant and uncomfortable, especially when I'm trying to get to sleep. This blog post that appeared on my Tumblr dashboard one day was written by someone suffering from the same affliction (it now has over 100,000 notes so we're definitely not the only ones!) who had found a cure to the stickiness in the form of this dusting powder, and ever since I read it I've found myself daydreaming about the powder every time I've been lying in bed feeling sticky and gross.

Since I don't live in the city there isn't a Lush store right on my doorstep - although their products are available online - so I had to wait until I had some solo shopping time in Carlisle before I was able to finally make a purchase. My first impressions of Lush were that the smell of the various products is overwhelming as you first walk in but the store looked really pretty, especially with the rainbow of bath bombs on display in little boxes. I considered buying myself one of the bath bombs but there were so many options that I didn't know how I'd be able to choose just one! The Carlisle shop is just little so I was able to find the dusting powders pretty quickly, and a quick read of the label convinced me to give Silky Underwear a try. The girl working in the shop was really lovely and helpful, asking if I'd ever used the product before and telling me how easy it was to use and how nice it smelled.


Silky Underwear dusting powder is priced at £4.50 for a 60g bottle. I wasn't sure at first whether or not this was going to be good value but I've now applied it every day, sometimes multiple times, for almost two months and I've still only used around 1/7th of the product. The powder is made with jasmine and cocoa butter which smells light and delicate, nothing like the overwhelming aroma emanating out of the Lush shop. Unlike a lot of talcum powders it doesn't use chemicals which can cause harm, which means it's safe to apply to your inner thighs. The label suggests that it should be applied on clean, dry skin so I usually put some on my stickiest areas after a shower to leave my skin feeling silky and smelling nice for the rest of the day. As well as curing thigh rubbing, I also love its ability to control under-boob and even under-arm sweat, and as an added bonus I haven't noticed any dry skin around my chest since I started dusting the area with the powder, presumably due to the moisturising effect of the cocoa butter. 

I couldn't be more impressed with my first Lush purchase, even after a couple of months I'm still excited every time I use it. A little goes a long way, one review said that a bottle can last for a whole year and although I read that in disbelief I'm now pleased to discover that it looks to be true. I've now been browsing the Lush website with excitement trying to decide which products I want to try next, I'm intrigued by the deodorants and shampoo bars and I definitely need to see whether their bath bombs live up to the hype! If anyone has any Lush products that they can't do without, I'd love some recommendations. 

Silky Underwear dusting powder is available to buy online via the Lush website (UK): https://www.lush.co.uk/products/silky-underwear




No comments:

Post a Comment