Saturday 17 April 2021

Music Review: Kerrang! Best Of 2005

 I was a Kerrang! reader for approximately a decade, starting with the Christmas 2004 double issue (Good Charlotte's Madden twins on the cover) and ending around the time that The Blackout split up, by which time I was no longer following any of the bands who were featured in the magazine.  Those first couple of years were when it made the biggest impact on me, as I was entering my teens and figuring out who I wanted to be, and I remember the style of humour, the posters that adorned my walls, the catalogues for alt clothing companies, and the CDs that came free with the magazine a few times each year. 

I've only kept some of the CDs that came cover-mounted on issues of Kerrang! and of those, this is the one that I remember the most fondly.  Specifically, I remember the week it came out - my friends and I sought refuge in the school library at lunchtimes and one day we were gathered around one of the school's new laptops, flicking through the tracks on this compilation.  There are bands on here who I already loved and owned the albums by, some who I vaguely knew through K!TV and the rock show on my local radio station, and others whose names and faces I'd seen in the magazine but not had a chance to hear yet.  Looking at the tracklisting now, there are a few songs on there that I can't recall at all which surprised me as I remembered it being amazing from start to finish but I think my brain has combined it with the other CDs of the year that showcased the best of the 2005 festival season and that year's Kerrang! Awards Nominees.  Lets dive in. 


1. Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds 💜
I remember this song as a staple of the rock club I frequented every Friday night from January 2005 until it closed a few years later, as well as the Saturday night Radio Borders Rock Show which had the same DJ.  A sexy industrial number, this was the first NIN song that I came across and I loved it then and still do.  This song showed me that rock music could use synthesisers and didn't have to stand in direct opposition to the dance music that was a guilty pleasure for me a year or two earlier.  Being 12 years old at this point, I was firmly in my elitist 'rock music is good and everything else is shit' period so I think Trent Reznor really broadened my mind in these few minutes.  I always planned to get properly into Nine Inch Nails as I love their sound, but that time hasn't come yet; maybe this could be our year.  The Hand That Feeds really puts me back on that sticky dancefloor, dressed all in black and finding a safe space to explore who I was going to be.  It fits in just as nicely with the music I listen to most now as it did with my collection in 2005, a perfect opener to this collection.



2. HIM - Rip Out The Wings Of A Butterfly 🟢
HIM were huge at this point in my life.  When this CD came out, I had a ticket to see HIM the following year and had bought their Best Of which was full of romantic, gothic hard rock.  Ville Valo was treated as a god by Kerrang! magazine.  This has a cultish (and The Cult-ish) romance to it and I remember it being bit on music TV.  It's a decent goth pop song and if it had come out 15 years earlier I think they'd have been mainstream stars instead of music for teenage girl moshers - I was surprised to find out that this was a Top 10 hit single as I remember them being treated as huge stars of the underground.  I didn't have this album but borrowed it from a friend to put on my iPod, however I didn't love it enough to burn my own copy so there's only one other HIM song from this era in my collection and I parted ways with them after that.

3. Team Sleep - Our Ride To The Rectory 🟢
I don't really remember this song as it didn't resonate with me aged 12.  As an adult I'm interested in what Chino Moreno does as he has great taste in music and the Deftones as essentially a heavy shoegaze band.  The chorus of this is familiar to me and it's definitely closer to my current music taste than my 05 taste with its slow pace, soaring vocals and electronic elements.  It builds up in an interesting way and feels a bit like a night drive which is my favourite thing about the song.  I don't think I'd sit and listen to a Team Sleep album but this is alright.  

4. Fall Out Boy - Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year 🔵
I already liked Fall Out Boy at this point and I think I either already owned the album this comes from (From Under The Cork Tree) or was about to buy it as I have a feeling this song was new to me at this point and might even have been the deciding factor in making the purchase.  It's one of my favourite Fall Out Boy songs, full of MSN screen-name lyrics, most notably "the best part of 'believe' is the 'lie'" but I definitely used 'well-read and poised' as well.  Patrick Stump has a really distinctive voice which, combined with the lyrics, is probably why Fall Out Boy rose above their peers to become the defining emo band of the year.   It's a good, clever little pop punk song that still brings me joy and I still know all the words so it was good to hear this.

5. Blink-182 - The Rock Show 🔵
I've never understood exactly why this song is on the Best Of 05 considering it came out in 2001.  I think the band might have gone on hiatus in 2005 so it might have been included as a tribute, but regardless of the reason, it's a great song.  I knew it already as it's included on another rock compilation I bought in 2003 and I think we had some Blink-182 albums in the house by this time as they were one of my favourite bands in the lead-up to my K!-buying years, so their inclusion was welcome.  The Rock Show is super catchy and fun, an ode to a cool girl that's written without putting anyone else down in the process - truly a classic pop-punk single that deserves to be played when I go out post-covid.  

6. Green Day - St. Jimmy (VH1 Storytellers Version) 🔵
The main event!  Green Day were everything to me at this age; American Idiot came out the year before and I spent a lot of 2005 catching up with their back catalogue.  I'm sure I had a VHS recording of the VH1 Storytellers show where they played the album from start to finish.  St. Jimmy is such an exciting song in the context of the album and even removed from that and placed here, it's still exhilarating.  Also exhilarating is the opportunity to hear a live Green Day recording which is so full of energy even though I'm sure this took place in a TV studio with people sat at tables, rather than the Milton Keynes Bowl.  I never got to see them in this era which I don't think I'll ever get over.  I love this song... and don't you fucking wear it out (dun-dun-dun-dun)!

7. Alkaline Trio - Time To Waste 🔵
I saw Alkaline Trio in November 2005, a decision that was based purely on the strength of the songs included on cover-mounted CDs like this one, and I got into them in a big way.  Time To Waste is so macabre with its piano intro leading to this big expansive punk sound and huge chorus.  I found this song so intriguing at the time; I don't hear it often these days so that feeling comes back to me when I stumble across it now, like I must find out more about them.  I'm excited to cover Alkaline Trio in more depth in future posts so that I can dive back in to those albums that I loved so much at the time.

8. Funeral For A Friend - All The Rage (Demo) 🟢
I didn't get into FFAF until a bit later so this song felt like a bit of a dead spot for me on the album at the time.  A big deal was made out of the fact that they were Welsh which I thought was cool, in fact looking at the CD now, they're the first British act to feature.  All The Rage isn't their best song but it has a decent chorus.  The version here is a demo but it sounds fully formed - I don't think I've ever heard the finished version as I never bought any of their albums, although I did see them a couple of times at festivals in the early 2010s.  

9. Trivium - A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation 🟠
And now on to the metal portion of the disc.  Kerrang! loved Trivium in 2005 and so did the metal boys at my school who I half-knew from Friday nights - I remember overhearing them asking to borrow the album from each other.  That meant that I felt like I had to like this more than I actually did.  There are a couple of Trivium songs that I remember liking more than this one which I'm not really into.  It's heavy, shouty and has that type of metal guitar solo that I hate, both in terms of the tone and the length - it takes ages.  That's followed by a chant bit which I guess would have been massive at Download Festival that year.  The song isn't the worst but I do feel like I would skip it under normal circumstances which is why I've rated it this way. 

10. Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison 🟡
This is another band I felt that I was supposed to like, and actually did like some of their stuff.  Their lyrics were perfectly suited to my angsty teen emo phase so their early singles hit me at the right time.  The Poison isn't one of the songs by them that I'd reach for but at least it has a catchy chorus.  The main riff that appears both at the intro and after the solo is pretty good as well.  I don't really like this sort of thing but I can see some merit in it.  BFMV are the second and final British group on the CD and they're also Welsh so I guess this was a bad year for English rock bands. 

11. Rammstein - Benzin 🔵
My introduction to Rammstein; I bought their album on the strength of this song and unfortunately the rest of it wasn't as good so I no longer own it.  The song is in German but from what I can gather it's just a list of chemicals (benzin = petrol).  Like Nine Inch Nails it's industrial but this is a bit heavier.  It's another dancefloor filler though, big 'dance music for goths' mood.  I remember us all loving it when our school had a German Exchange and lots of people brought their partners to the club who dutifully put this on.  This is the only Rammstein song I ever got into but you know what, even though it's a bit ridiculous, I would still listen to it now.

12. Every Time I Die - Kill The Music 🟢
The snarling dog intro crashing into brutal hardcore sounds really great.  Gerard Way sings the chorus to this song which also sounds amazing contrasted with the music - My Chemical Romance had their first big year in 05 so their presence is missed on the album; it's nice to hear Gerard's voice even if it's on another band's song.  My other highlight is the end part which plays with slowing down and then launching another attack.  Kill The Music is heavy but I like it, partly because of that chorus but also because it has more in common with the likes of Glassjaw than Trivium.  

13. Arch Enemy - My Apocalypse 🟠
Our token woman of the compilation is Angela Gossow, singer with Arch Enemy.  The heaviest song of all, she was well-known for her death metal growl.  However, this is easily my least favourite track - I think melodic death metal sounds really horrible.  It's impressive that Gossow made it to the top of such a male-dominated genre but I do think they were treated as a novelty act at the time.  The song felt like it lasted forever with lots of places where it could have ended but just kept. on. going.  I would happily never hear another melo-death song again. 

14. Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country 🟡
Another favourite band of K!.  They open with the quote at the start of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas: "he who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man", and from then on it sounds like being on a Hunter S Thompson rollercoaster.  The band were always photographed looking like a dangerous biker gang but they also sometimes wore eyeshadow which was a little confusing; I guess they were adding the excess of Motley Crue, Thompson and the Hells Angels together into one thing.  M Shadows' voice is really nasal and whiny and the guitars somehow sound the same, creating a really unpleasant sound.  There's a lot going on here between the guitar solos and the excessive cowbell and the catchy vocal hooks that get a bit lost in amongst it all.  Listening to Bat Country is genuinely a bit tiring.  It's the musical equivalent of the big break film where the director crams all of their niche interests into one script (see: Under The Silver Lake, The Love Witch, Gregg Araki's Teenage Apocalypse Trilogy).  Unfortunately, while I love that in a film, it combines into a big mess in a song.  I thought I really liked this song so it was a surprise to listen to it again and find that it's not as fun as I remember.

15. Coheed & Cambria - Welcome Home 🟢
Finally we come to the closing track and it's an epic.  Right from the start it feels like we're going into a big fantasy adventure - if this was a film, it would be something akin to Lord Of The Rings.  Maybe I say that because Kerrang! made a big deal out of the fact that their music was an accompaniment to a sci-fi comic that the singer wrote, or maybe it's just because it's the most prog-rock sounding song of the collection.  Claudio Sanchez's voice is so unexpected after seeing them in the magazine; he was a big guy with huge hair but he sings in a high register.  I shouldn't like this song - it's pompous, fantasy prog-metal - but I am actually quite taken in by it.  Sanchez is a genuinely talented vocalist and the song is well-constructed with twists and turns like you'd expect from a soundtrack.  There are big guitar solos which I don't love as much, especially at the end where the whole thing becomes a big guitar solo before an epic choir takes us to a single-edit fade out.  I probably couldn't cope with a whole album of this stuff but I'm okay with these few minutes.

Kerrang! Best Of 2005 is a pretty good encapsulation of the music I liked and thought that I ought to like in 2005.  There are a couple of glaring omissions in that there's no My Chemical Romance or System Of A Down, who were two of the biggest Kerrang! bands of that year, and there's only one woman (I remember being into European symphonic metal with operatic female singers to an embarrassing extent at this time).  They got the best song out of the way first and my ratings show exactly what you'd expect of me - I like the pop punk and the bands who grew up listening to Depeche Mode.  I'm glad I don't have to pretend to like Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold any more, but a lot of these songs remind me of specific people, places and moments from 2005 so I can enjoy the memories if not the music.  I'm off to see if Green Day's VH1 Storytellers episode has been uploaded to YouTube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment