Wednesday 15 July 2020

TIMMTI: Lana Del Rey writes poetry edition

App: Mail
Ad: Lana Del Rey - Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass
Targeted: Yes

My email is perhaps a weird place to go looking for advertisements.  I've been working on trying to unsubscribe from a lot of the e-newsletters that I've ended up subscribed to over the years from online shopping, signing petitions and simply choosing to receive weekly round-ups from news sites and blogs.  On top of that, I'm pretty good at reading and deleting my emails every day, to clear out my inbox.  As a result, it's taken me a while to get round to doing a TIMMTI post based on an email I've received.  

Like every "indie" girl in her twenties, I adore Lana Del Rey.  I avoided her at first, when 'Video Games' was ubiquitous in around 2011, but in 2013 I heard a fan-made mash-up of her song Born To Die with Rihanna's Russian Roulette and I immediately became obsessed with the sound of her voice.  


Since then I've pre-ordered all of her albums and seen her twice (she sadly cancelled her tour this year, just before the pandemic hit) so I'm on the mailing list for Lana music and touring news.  She's been teasing her poetry book for a while now - maybe even a couple of years? - but the other day, it was finally announced, and she's putting out a spoken-word album version as well as a book.  



I've been holding on to this email for a few days trying to decide whether I wanted to order the collection on CD or vinyl picture disc.  Do I want to have a CD that I can transfer and listen to on my iPod, so I can listen to Lana read me poems while I'm out for a walk, or do I go for the aesthetic value of the picture disc and keep the collection as a special thing to listen to lying on the floor by my record player? 


After much deliberating I've decided to go with the picture disc (if I'm lucky, it'll come with a download code so I can take it on walks).  It doesn't come out until October so it'll be a little while before I can come back with a review but I'm looking forward to it.  I feel like spoken-word albums were commonplace in the past but very rare now - if you're a comedian you're going to go for a Netflix special these days rather than put yourself on vinyl, and if you're a poet, well, I suppose you put yourself on YouTube and try to shift books.  I don't know what the quality of Lana's poetry will be like, but I think Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass will make a nice addition to my record collection.  Since the album has less than half of the poems that will be included in the book, I'm hoping that it'll be available in Fopp as part of their 2 books for £6 deal eventually and I'll pick up a copy then.  

See you at my record player in October! 

R x



No comments:

Post a Comment