Monday 27 November 2017

Music Monday: my 80s mixtape

Making mixtapes is one of the first skills that I remember being taught by my dad, as a child of about 5 or 6 who borrowed compilation CDs from the library and recorded my favourite songs onto cassette to keep. We had a hi-fi in the corner of the living room with a turntable, CD player and tape-deck - which now sits in the corner of my bedroom - where I recall sitting and performing the ritual of hitting the 'play' and 'record' buttons simultaneously just in time for my chosen song to start, watching the tape wind its way from one spool to the other, then slamming the 'pause' button on the tape before the CD moved on to the next song.
I'd make tapes to play in my room and in the car: first pop songs, then the punk and alternative that I grew to love as a teenager. As a 90s baby who was inherently distrustful of the record player, I hired my dad to record the Grease soundtrack from my mum's vinyl for me when I went through my Grease phase (every girl has a Grease phase, right?). 
Once I had a computer I graduated to burning CDs of the songs I'd downloaded and meticulously creating playlists on iTunes, Spotify, 8tracks and so on, but they lack the skill of knowing when to press the buttons and the panic of not knowing whether the tape was going to run out midway through a song. Despite the availability of every song ever recorded on the internet, I still like to put together a mixtape every now and again. 

I put this mix together about nine months ago, after a viewing of the two Trainspotting movies ignited my passion for the two 'Temptations' below and tied together lots of my 80s pop favourites. (Side note: I didn't blog for most of 2017 and if you're wondering what I was doing during that time, I was mostly watching Trainspotting.) Since I've now conquered the turntable, I put the whole thing together from the boxes of 7" singles that my parents have passed down to me (and a couple that I've picked up myself) for that authentic crackling vinyl sound, which is unfortunately missing from the Spotify re-creation at the bottom of this entry. Still, I recommend this playlist - it's lasted nine months in my tape-deck without me getting tired of it which I think proves how great the music of this era is - and how strong my mixtape game is!

Side 1


1. Temptation - Heaven 17
AKA the song that's playing in Trainspotting when the gang are in the nightclub. Tommy and Spud are chatting about their girl troubles, Begbie and Sick Boy are pairing off with that night's partners, and Renton is scouring the room for someone to satisfy his "post-junk libido". It's one of my most-played songs of the year because it goes so hard.

2. Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
'Welcome To The Pleasuredome' is probably my favourite 80s album - I blogged about how much I loved it when I first discovered it way back at the start of 2016 and my adoration has not waned. 'Relax' is one of the biggest British songs of all time and pops up in all sorts of places; I often say that my favourite movie is every movie that has a scene set to this song so hearing it fade in when Begbie and Renton face off in T2 was very exciting for me. 

3. Temptation - New Order
Not to be confused with Heaven 17, the New Order song of the same name is the one that Diane sings in the morning when Renton wakes up to her family, and again when he's having come-down hallucinations. I'd actually discovered it just before seeing the movie and it's become one of my favourite New Order songs, seconded only by 'Age Of Consent'. There are a load of different versions, like every New Order song, but the single version is my favourite. 

4. Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
Not linked to Trainspotting, just a fun 80s pop song. I can't remember whether or not my parents had a copy of this but I picked one up at the charity shop where I used to work. 

5. Tainted Love - Soft Cell
There's not much that I need to say about 'Tainted Love'. It's a synthpop classic and no playlist of 80s synthy tunes should be without it. 

6. Sheila Take A Bow - The Smiths
Being The Smiths, this obviously isn't a synth tune, but they're one of the best things to come out of the 80s regardless. I chose 'Sheila Take A Bow' since it's an uncharacteristically cheerful Smiths song, so it can keep up with the Hi-NRG of the Frankies and the synth hits that appear elsewhere on the mix.

7. Gold - Spandau Ballet
This song is so uplifting. It reminds me of my friends from work who have picked it out as their go-to karaoke song, and the way that a little snippet was played on the BBC every time someone British won a gold medal at the London Olympics. 

8. Geno - Dexys Midnight Runners
The popular choice from Dexys is obviously 'Come On Eileen' but my best friend referenced this song so often that I listened to it and realised it was an underrated classic. They use brass instead of synths but the feeling is there.

9. It's A Sin - Pet Shop Boys
Synthpop? More like sinthpop. This song is so loud and desperate, I love it.

10. Only You - Yazoo
This song is a masterpiece and I didn't realise until recently that Yazoo's is the original and The Flying Pickets' version is a cover. It's on an advert this Christmas and I'm eternally grateful that they used Yazoo and not some twee acoustic folk cover. 

11. Mad World - Tears For Fears
Another song that has a famous cover and a supreme original synthy 80s version. 

12. Come Back And Stay - Paul Young
This song doesn't really relate so closely to the others but there's something about it that I'm obsessed with. I think it's the melody of the chorus. It's been kind of forgotten in the 21st century and deserves to be known.

13. True Faith - New Order
A second New Order song, since they're so good. This also has a rad chorus and a good 90s version. 

Side 2


1. Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
It's impossible for me to choose between 'Relax' and 'Two Tribes'. Both were huge hits and both are absolute classics of the genre. Definitely one that makes me want to dance.

2. A Little Respect - Erasure
This is one of my favourite songs of all time - everything about it is perfect. I don't love Erasure enough to go and see them play live, but I'd love to get down to A Little Respect in a crowded concert hall.

3. 21st Century Boy - Sigue Sigue Sputnik
My dad played this for my brother and I when we were first allowed to go through his records as kids and I immediately loved it. Sigue Sigue Sputnik's whole aesthetic was that they were from the future, which is hilarious now considering how dated they sound and look. Still, I think they're so cool and I'd have been a total fangirl for them if I was a teen in the 80s.

4. New Life - Depeche Mode
I picked this record up in a charity shop because my dad unfortunately did not collect many Depeche Mode singles in his time. I think this was their first hit and it's an adorable amateur synthpop song - it's incredible how far they've come since. 

5. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) - Dead Or Alive
This is another of those songs that needs no introduction, since it was and still is such a massive hit record. When I listen to it now there's always a tinge of sadness since Pete Burns is no longer with us but that doesn't stop me from dancing.

6. Love & Pride - King
I think I heard this song in the movie 'Pride' and immediately needed to know what it was. I love yelling along with the chorus. 

7. Are "Friends" Electric? - Tubeway Army 
Technically this isn't an 80s song but it's such an important piece of electronica and also a mainstay of my playlist for the last 18 months or so. The repetitive synth riff and the sad vocals are an irresistible combination.

8. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant 
Adam Ant hopped onto my playlist at the same time as the last song and it was hard to choose just one of his songs for my mix. I went with 'Goody Two Shoes' because it makes me want to move more than any of his other songs and is ridiculously catchy.

9. Atomic - Blondie 
I guess this is another song that I carried over from Trainspotting, although it's a cover that plays in the movie. However, 'Atomic' was one of the songs on a mixtape of punk and new wave that my dad put together for me when I started listening to Green Day back in my pre-teen days, so it's been with me for a long time. I definitely have the Trainspotting movies to thank for the amount of Blondie I've listened to in 2017. 

10. Dancing With Tears In My Eyes - Ultravox
Not 'Vienna', which I also love, but a different song which I took a chance on. I actually wasn't overly familiar with 'Dancing With Tears In My Eyes' before I committed it to tape, but it was a good choice to make. 

11. True - Spandau Ballet
Every mixtape needs a ballad, right? And this New Romantic classic is really the 80s ballad, definitely appearing in a Molly Ringwald prom scene at some point.

12. Never Let Me Down Again - Depeche Mode
A second song by one of my favourite bands to round the playlist off. I actually went to see them last weekend and am now in that honeymoon phase of obsession where I'm consuming all things Depeche Mode, so I applaud my past self for having the foresight to choose one of my favourite songs of theirs for me to blog about now. 



Hear the whole playlist here:




No comments:

Post a Comment