Thursday 20 August 2015

A Glasgow shopping trip


A few weeks back I headed up to Glasgow, where my brother now lives, for a change of scenery from the small town where I live. My main cause for a visit was to check out one of Glasgow's museums, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to a little retail therapy while I was in the big city. 
We ended up visiting the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art because it was the most central and after a long morning of buses and trains I just didn't fancy making the trip up to the far more exciting sounding Kelvingrove museum, which is at the top of a very long street. Outside the Modern Art museum is a statue which has become modern art itself; the Duke Of Wellington sitting proud on his horse outside the museum acquired a traffic cone hat somewhere around the 1980s and every time the council remove the cone another soon appears in its place. The cone-wearing statue has become as iconic to Glasgow as the Castle is to Edinburgh! 


The museum itself was far less exciting that I'd hoped it would be, perhaps I'm just not interested in modern art but there was nothing particularly memorable about any of the displays. One was focused on women's art and I found it the most compelling although most of it was, if I'm being honest, rather dull. The main gallery on the ground floor had been taken over by a moving image exhibit which isn't my thing so we quickly abandoned the gallery and headed for the shops.

As you can see from the above Instagram pic the shops suited me better than the art gallery did and I had a very successful trip! I bought a handful of CDs and DVDs in Cex, including 3 movies I loved that I plan to talk about in later blogs (Chappie, Spring Breakers and Pride), and also managed to fit in a Primark shop to pick up a few things I'd been after for a while before I headed home on Friday.

Leather (sort of) jacket, £14

I've wanted a leather jacket for a very long time, probably since I started listening to Green Day and saw Billie Joe Armstrong in one (looking back, Billie Joe has been the inspiration between a lot of my fashion choices, from Converse All-Stars and brothel creepers to black skinny jeans!), but I've never actually owned one until now. At that price it obviously isn't real leather but I'm happy to have both a lower price tag and an animal-friendly garment. I've worn it a few times since I brought it home and I'm really happy with it so I'm really glad I found it in the store!

Indigo Denim Shorts, £3.90

Shorts are one of my wardrobe staples and Primark have pairs in pretty much every colour you can imagine. When I was in store their basic shorts were reduced from £5 to £3.90 so I tried on these and a black pair, but decided to buy the classic blue denim. They're comfortable and not too short; I think they're just as good as the New Look shorts I've been wearing which cost twice as much while on sale. 


Transparent Rain Boots, £10 (and socks, £2.50)

You might remember seeing these boots on my wishlist a few posts back, so you can imagine my delight when I walked into Primark and found the exact pair that I was looking for. eBay has these boots with soles in all colours of the rainbow but I couldn't find a black pair online, and now I guess it's because Primark bought them all up (they're also selling the peachy-pink soles but I thought black would be more versatile). I'm lucky enough not to have had to venture out in heavy rain yet so I haven't actually worn these boots outside,but hopefully they'll be comfortable and waterproof. Either way, it's saved me paying twice the Primark price to have them shipped from China so I'm pretty pleased, I just hope their availability doesn't lead to everyone I know buying them too! Oh, and of course since they're transparent I had to buy a pack of socks in all my favourite colours to wear under them. 


Matte Top Coat nail polish, £1

I've been after some matte polish for a while and I was excited to see that Primark were selling bottles for only £1 so I bought one, not sure whether it would actually work. As you can hopefully see from the above photo of my stubby fingers, it didn't work at all on the silver polish I was wearing - and this was with two coats of the matte polish. It did leave little bubbles on top of my nails but they were as shiny as ever and the thickness of the polish made it chip off really easily. It also has a really weird smell, almost fruity but still artificial and chemical, which I didn't like at all. On the upside it dries really quickly which is ideal for someone like me who constantly smudges my nails, but the finish isn't nearly as attractive as with a fast-drying top coat. I'll try it out with other polishes to see if it has a different effect but in future if I want matte nails I think I'll stick to the Barry M black matte polish I have, or try a more trusted brand.

Although it's definitely not from Primark, you might have noticed in the above photo that the Fashion Conscious Clothing t-shirt that I included on my last wishlist is now in my possession - the package was waiting for me when I got back from Glasgow. I've had it on a couple of times and I love it, plus it was posted really quickly, so if you haven't checked them out yet please do, I can't fault them!






No comments:

Post a Comment